EDCI 506: Week 15 Blog: Reflection of Group Project

prezicap

Throughout all the presentations the main theme was having a green school as well as incorporating a plethora of technology into the classrooms. Every group had some sort of energy efficient school, a progressive style teaching method (very hands-on) and having the newest technology in their schools.  It was really neat to see all the different ways that the groups incorporated having a “green” school, whether it was through the structure of the school, having rooftop gardens, using solar panels or using preexisting buildings in the area.

It was also interesting to see how the schools would receive funding and how they would be able to pay for the technology that they would be using.  It was a little hard to understand the full concept of funding, and maybe some of the ideas were a little far-fetched for the amount of money that the school would actually have.  Of course, every school would love to have sponsors and donations of computers and ipads, but in reality is that really possible?  Would Apple be willing to donate 250 computer? Probably not.  However, the amount of grants for technology and e-rates that you can receive could definitely help off-set the costs.

I believe that my teaching philosophy pretty much went along with my groups and the other groups presentations.  I still strongly believe in having a technologically saavy classroom, and using all the technology tools my school has to offer in order to be a more progressive teacher.  Using a more hands-on approach and letting my students be able to use these tools and have a choice in the projects that they wish to complete.

In regards to the school that my group had created, it was pretty much along the same guidelines as the other schools.  Our school, however did not focus as strongly on being “green”, not did we try to focus or specialize in any curriculum, such as math and science, or agriculture.  Our school was pretty much like schools today but just adding more of a collaborative approach.  Allowing for “social interaction and discussion” in the mornings, current event boards in the hallways, brag boards and back-alley hallways were teacher can meet away from the students.  We wanted to focus on a community approach, by having parents involved from the first day.  It was important for our group that the teachers and parents had a relationship outside of parent-teacher conferences.

Throughout this whole process of creating a 21st century school, I learned that creating a school is difficult. I never realized exactly how much thought has to go into the school, such as design, curriculum, funds, development, etc.  This project made me go outside my comfort zone, and start to think critically and creatively about what a school entails.  I never gave much thought to how teachers would have professional development or how students needed to learn, but this opened my eyes to the fact that students learn differently and that teachers and the school’s curriculum must showcase that.

3 Responses to “EDCI 506: Week 15 Blog: Reflection of Group Project”

1. withers1020 says:

I agree! Creating a school was much more difficult than I had imagined — and ours was only virtual! I really liked many of the ideas that you thought of especially the community involvement programs you had. Great job!

2. jboehret says:

I wholeheartedly agree – creating a school is so much more involved than I might have ever imagined. I knew this would be a difficult process, but I never really considered it before and that was eye-opening.

I loved what your school brought to the table, particularly the brag walls and back alley hallways for teacher interaction. Those were new ideas to me and I hope to implement a brag wall in my classroom someday.

It’s good to hear that your teaching style stayed pretty well inline with what you had already come to accept. My own was twisted, if only slightly, in seeing how others approached this challenge. But to each their own.

3. alicegillespie says:

Heather, I agree that creating a school is more difficult than I imagined and reminds me again that I’d rather be in the classroom setting than the administrative end. I think your project was very student based with your social interaction time and your Brag Wall. Great job!