EDCI 506-01 So you want to be a teacher blog reflection week 1

Teachers and principals could likely take the data reports of teachers who bring about higher achievement with bad taste.  Teachers and principals may view these findings as inadequate to their specific school or students within their classroom. Teachers might think that higher achievement only means that standardize test scores are higher, and not taking into account the student as a whole, outside of standardize tests.  Not only is the data perhaps not showing all areas of a student – a problem on why principals may be reluctant to use the data- but it most definitely degrades the other teachers.  These teachers deemed as those who are not bringing higher achievement may believe, due to the data, that they are not good teachers, and no longer have the moral support so desperately needed in order to be a successful teacher. With these findings the Principal of the school may not want to share the results in order to keep the community of the teachers solid, rather than disrupt it with another critical report.

It also seems that man of the reluctant principals may not be willing to show the data reports because of the lack of “essential” data.  Principals and school administrators may believe that it is not the teachers who are making the students underachievers.  Instead the administrators may look to the “old notions about the causes of underachievement” (Haycock, 2000) which may place emphasis on family situation, income of the family, education of the parents and family, friends, and etc.  The reports may not include all of the pertinent data the administrators think also may affect the students learning and their goal for wanting to achieve more.   It would be better for the principal(s) to address the teachers after they have been supplied with the data report.  By letting the higher achievement teachers mentor the lower achieving teachers, in order to show them how they conduct their classroom and lesson, but to leave out the report as to not have low-esteem within the teachers.

As a high school student I was not as interested in how my teacher mattered in helping me succeed. I believed that the teachers were there to help guide me in the right direction, but that my test scores and scholastic achievement were up to me.  I knew that the teachers were there to help me, but none of them said outright “Heather, I can help you achieve this”.  It was more as if I should have known that the teachers were there to help, but I should do it myself in order to look as if I understood the subject.  I do not believe that friends knew of this, or majority of the school.  It is not made as clear today, like in the video, that teachers do matter in how students’ lives turn out.  It seems as if more influence is place on friends, and family to how the students achieves.

Upon watching the video and reading the first chapter of “Foundations of Education” and our class discussion I think it is important that teachers are knowledgeable of their subject, have a strong community of new teachers and seasoned teachers, have a relationship with the administration, care about the students and are willing to show the students their potential, and to make sure the students know that the teacher is there to help in any way possible. I believe that teacher empowerment, (Ornstein, Levine, Gutek 2011) is a great idea that will really help teachers feel comfortable in dealing with situations and feel as if they have a community to look to for help.

One Response to “EDCI 506-01 So you want to be a teacher blog reflection week 1”

1. kevans3 says:

I agree that principals do not want to share data results as a way of keeping the teaching community solid. As discussed in class, it is very important for teachers to have a support system, which could potentially be jeopardized, if poor data reports were shared with the school community.

High school teachers do matter in the success of a student, they did in mine; unfortunately, I believe that in most school systems, students have varying opinions of what teachers actually mean to them, with many not viewing teachers as individuals who matter to their future successes.

Indeed, teacher empowerment and community are vital components of successful teaching. As discussed in the reading and in class, the stresses of teaching can be reduced if teachers partake in support groups.